Hosei International Fund Foreign Scholars Fellowship
In 1980, Hosei University in anticipation of the 100th anniversary of its founding, established the Hosei International Fund (HIF) to advance international cooperation in academic research and scholarship. As one undertaking covered by this fund, academics may apply to the HIF Fellowship Program, also known as the Foreign Scholars Fellowship Program, as described below.
Invitations are extended to young scholars from abroad who are, at the least, enrolled in a doctoral degree program to apply to the HIF Fellowship Program to carry out non-degree research programs at Hosei University under the direction of and/or in cooperation with Hosei faculty and researchers. It is expected that joint cooperation and coordination with Hosei faculty will contribute much to the development of the university’s research capabilities.
Qualifications / Eligibility
- be foreign national (includes stateless person, foreign national currently residing in Japan)
- be presently enrolled in a doctoral degree program, hold a Doctorate, or its equivalent as recognized by the University
- have sufficient fluency in either Japanese or English
- be no more than 39 years of age as of April 1, 2020
- not have been a previous recipient of this fellowship
Research areas include those studies in the humanities, social or natural sciences, or engineering as deemed acceptable by Hosei.
Please refer to page 10 for information concerning faculties, graduate school departments, research institutes.
Note 1: Positions are not available in medical or veterinary sciences, pharmacology, nursing, agriculture, marine sciences, home economics, fine arts.
Note 2: Any research involving the import/export of components and/or technology which could lead to creation, production and development of weapons of mass destruction is unacceptable in accordance with Japanese Government policy.
A few people
The academic year begins in April and ends in March; however, HIF Fellows can begin their research either in April or October of 2020.
An HIF Fellow can receive ¥ 300,000 each month.
Travel Grant and Other Perquisites
An HIF Fellow can receive all or part of economy class transportation expenses for travel to and from Japan. The travel subsidy for round-trip travel is ¥ 300,000 maximum (or up to ¥ 150,000 for one way travel). To receive the inbound travel subsidy, the researcher must be living outside Japan; to receive the outbound subsidy a researcher must leave Japan within 30 days of completion of the research program.
An HIF Fellow may receive assistance in his/her research from the research advisor, participate in lectures and seminars, and use other facilities of Hosei University.
An HIF Fellow will be provided with shared office space, PC, and a Hosei University network ID.
Hosei University will provide, upon request, a furnished apartment. However, the rent (approximately ¥ 100,000 per month) must be borne by the Fellow. (Note that rental expenses are subject to change)
The HIF Fellow must submit a research paper in Japanese or English to the Global Education Center, Hosei University, within a month of completion of research here; the papers will comprise the HIF Fellowship Program Papers publication “Hosei University International Fund Foreign Scholars Fellowship Reports” issued by the Center every two years.
Within 2 years of completion of his/her research, the HIF Fellow, shall make public the results or findings verbally or in written form, via academic paper, academic journal, book, international conference, or symposium. The HIF Fellow shall acknowledge in his report that the research was conducted under the auspices of the Hosei International Fund (HIF) Foreign Scholars Fellowship and shall submit the copies of the results of his/her research to Hosei University.
During the Fellowship period while in residence on campus, with the support and direction of the research advisor, in a measure of reciprocity, the Fellow shall assist in fostering awareness of the program through lectures and/or seminars concerning the research and its results for University students, faculty, and staff.
All statements made in the application must be true and correct in every detail; if found otherwise, the grant will be withdrawn.
Grantees who are concurrently awarded a scholarship from any other institution or organization in Japan will have their HIF grants suspended or reduced according to the amount received from these outside sources.
The Fellow may not engage in any paid activities for a Japanese or foreign institution, while receiving the HIF Fellowship.
How to Apply
To Obtain Information on Application Visit our web page. Application form can be downloaded from our web page.
Contact and Mailing Address
Coordinator, HIF Foreign Scholars Fellowship
Global Education Center, Hosei University
2-17-1 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8160 Japan
Fax: +81 - 3 - 32 64 - 4624
Application documents must reach the Global Education Center of Hosei University by Monday, June 3, 2019.
What to Include in Application
- Prescribed HIF Fellowship application form for the academic year 2020
- Two complete copies of applicant’s book or thesis considered most significant in his/her academic career (either Japanese or English, two copies of the same one, article of the book/thesis is unacceptable)
- An abstract for the submitted copy above in either Japanese or English (approximately 2 [ A4 or 210 mm x 297 mm ] pages)
- One original letter of recommendation from the head of the institution with which the applicant is affiliated (Rec-1)
- One original letter of recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor or instructor attesting to the applicant’s research (Rec-2). A recommendation letter from an academic advisor you name for this program will not be accepted.
- Official final degree certificate, accompanied by an official translation into either Japanese or English if the certificate is in neither of these languages. An officially-sealed photocopy of final degree certificate will be accepted.
- Certificate attesting to institution presently enrolled in or affiliated with, accompanied by an official translation into either Japanese or English if the certificate is in neither of these languages.
- Certificate of applicant’s Japanese or English ability ( TOEFL® score etc.) or a letter from the applicant’s supervisor or instructor attesting to the applicant’s Japanese or English ability if there is neither result nor score of examinations to certify the ability. *This is not required for native language.
- Check sheet.
Application documents should be prepared in English or Japanese.
Application form must be the one issued for the academic year 2020 by Hosei University (photocopy admissible).
All required information should be set down in the application form. Note that attached documents explaining certain items will invalidate the application.
Item 18 of the Application Form regarding the research advisor at Hosei must be filled in or the application will not be considered valid.
Letters of recommendation must clearly specify writers’ occupations and titles, and must be submitted in sealed envelopes. Recommendations must be recent and written exclusively for the HIF Fellowship application.
If submitted documents are incomplete, found unsatisfactory, false, or exceed what is requested, your application will not be accepted.
Papers and documents submitted will not be returned to the applicant. Hosei University will observe the related domestic law to protect personal data obtained from applicants and will use them only for the purpose of executing the HIF Foreign Scholars Fellowship Program.
Inquiries concerning the program will be accepted by e-mail if received by Friday, May 10, 2019.
You can use the check sheet for your final confirmation. Please put it at the top of all other documents for the submission.
A committee will be set up to select HIF Fellowship recipients according to the documents submitted.
The results will be mailed to all applicants on December 6, 2019.
No inquiries concerning the committee decision process will be answered. If the academic advisor is not found, the applicant may fail.
Application - Selection Process Timetable
- April to May 2019: Application Period
- Procurement of Guidelines with Application Forms
- June 3, 2019 (Monday): Application Deadline
- MAILED in application only
- Application sent by FAX or E-mail NOT admissible
- Unsatisfactory and/or incomplete application not eligible to undergo selection process
- Application must reach Global Education Center by this date.
- In June 2019: Acknowledgement of Receipt of Application (All applicants)
- Notification will be made by e-mail
- Applicants who do not receive the notification by the end of June need to contact Global Education Center by e-mail.
- By the End of July 2019: Notification of Ineligibility
- Notification concerning ineligibility as a result of insufficient qualifications, unsatisfactory or incomplete applications will be sent out
- July to November 2019: Selection Committee Meets
- A committee will be set up to select HIF Fellowship recipients according to the documents submitted
- December 6, 2019 (Friday): Notification of Results to Candidates
- Results will be sent to all candidates, successful or otherwise
- No inquiries concerning committee decisions will be answered before this date
- January 10, 2020 (Friday): Deadline for Scholarship Acceptance Replies from Successful Candidates
- Notification to Alternates concerning Fellowship Status will be sent following perusal of acceptance replies
- April/October, 2020 Start of Research/Fellowship Period