Call for nominations: University of Calgary Killam Visiting Scholar Award
The Killam Scholarship and Prize Programs were established in memory of Izaak Walton Killam through the Will of his wife, Dorothy Johnston Killam, and through gifts made during her lifetime.
Their primary purpose is to support advanced education and research at five Canadian Universities including the University of Calgary.
1. PURPOSE OF AWARD
The Killam Visiting Scholar award is made possible through special endowment funds provided by the Killam Trust. The award sponsors a distinguished scholar who will make a significant contribution to the academic life of the University of Calgary. The scholar is expected to participate in the research and teaching programs of the host department as well as engage in their own research.
2. DETAILS OF AWARD
The award consists of a stipend of $50,000 (CAD) plus a research and travel allowance of $3,000 (CAD). The funds are made available to the hosting faculty member who arranges the visit. The visit should occur during the fall or winter term of following academic year (2020 – 2021).
3. EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
The University of Calgary is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. The Killam Selection Committee reflects this commitment in its composition and deliberations. Nominators are also strongly encouraged to consider equity, diversity, and inclusion when identifying a nominee, particularly with respect to gender, as females have been historically under-represented.
The visit must be initiated by an academic faculty, department, or research institute at the University of Calgary. The Dean or head of the unit nominates the candidate and designates a faculty member as “host”. The host will be responsible for arranging the visit and managing the funds associated with the award.
NOTE: An academic unit may submit only one nomination in a given competition.
Nominations must include the following three items:
- 1. A letter from the head or dean of the sponsoring unit introducing the candidate. The topics to be discussed in the letter include: the nominee’s eminence; the benefit of the visit to the department, faculty, and broader University community; evidence of linkage to the academic plan; the prospect for future research collaboration; and any teaching that might be done during the visit. The letter must designate a faculty member who belongs to the unit to serve as host. The letter must also commit to a financial contribution of approximately $5,000 from the host unit for statutory vacation pay and non-health benefit costs, if the candidate is selected.
- 2. A project description that specifies the term for the visit and clearly explains the proposed program (research and teaching).
- 3. The nominee’s curriculum vitae. An optional Killam CV template is available.
5. STIPEND AND RESEARCH ALLOWANCE
The Killam Visiting Scholar receives a $50,000 CAD stipend (inclusive of statutory deductions) for one full term (either winter or fall), as well as a $3,000 CAD research and travel allowance. The Killam Visiting Scholar Award does not include health care coverage/benefits. Once awarded, funds will be held by the faculty member designated as host. The host’s academic unit is responsible forstatutory vacation pay and employer deductions, as well as any additional support or overexpenditure of the award accounts.
6. EVALUATION AND NOTIFICATION
Nominations are reviewed by the University of Calgary Killam Selection Committee. The Committee shall consist of members from the academic community who have been appointed by the Killam Advisory Committee. Research Services will notify the host unit in February. The President will issue a formal invitation to the nominee shortly thereafter.
7. SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
The closing date for the submission of nominations to the Research Services Office is December 1, 2019.
Email a single PDF document containing all of the nomination materials to the Research Services Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Direct any inquiries to the Research Services Office: Dr. Tiago Lier Specialist, Research Awards Telephone: (403) 210-7224 Email: email@example.com