Call for Foreign Scientific Members at the IFAO
The Institut français d’archéologie orientale (Ifao) is a scientific, public institution placed under the authority of the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation based in Cairo. Its mission is the study of the cultures of Egypt from Prehistory to the Modern period, in the fields of history, archaeology and philology.
In accordance with its statutes (specifically article 22 of the decree nr 2011-164 concerning French schools abroad modified by the decree no 2021-146), the IFAO recruits two Foreign scientific members for a one-year term, renewable once. The Foreign scientific members develop their own research project. They also take part in the research and training activities as well as the documentation policy of the institute.
Foreign scientific members are appointed by the director of the Institute within a list established by an admission committee and validated by the scientific council. They must be funded by their government or any other institution, in accordance with article 22 of decree nr 2011-164 modified by the decree nr 2021-146.
Two positions are available in 2023.
- The applicant must be a PhD student;
- or possess a diploma equal to or of higher standing than a PhD;
- or be a senior lecturer/associate professor or equivalent position;
- or show proof of higher education or scientific titles or diplomas deemed equivalent by the admission committee.
The candidate’s application must include:
- A cover letter;
- a curriculum vitae mentioning academic background, diplomas, a list of publications and scientific accomplishments;
- two recommendation letters by academic authorities;
- a two-year research project proposal related to the main scientific directions of the institute. The project must not exceed 20,000 characters, bibliographical references excluded.
- the completed admission form ;
- a copy of diplomas obtained;
- if the applicant has not yet obtained his/her PhD, please enclose a certificate from the university and a recommendation letter from the thesis supervisor;
- an official letter from the funding institution attesting that the expenses are covered for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Applications must be submittedas a digital file (pdf) on the Ifao website under Annonces / Postes et emplois.
Requests for information on the applications can be addressed to the office of the director,(tél. +20 2 279 71 649, firstname.lastname@example.org).
You have to create an account to submit a file consisting in a unique pdf format file.