French Institute of South Africa-Research Call for Funding
The French Institute of South Africa-Research (IFAS-Research) has a regional mandate covering twelve countries in Southern Africa (Angola,Botswana, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo,Lesotho,Malawi, Mozambique,NamibiaSouth Africa,Swaziland,Zambia andZimbabwe). IFAS-Research promotes and supports research projects in the Humanities and Social Sciences dealing with this area.
Within the framework of its research programs, IFAS-Research funds each year a number of research projects: collective projects, fieldworks, scientific events, publications.
All funding applications from research unitsor individualresearchers must imperatively reach us before 31December 2019.
Nationality will not be a condition for application, although the existence or prospect of a long-lasting partnership between France and Southern Africa is essential, particularly actual bilateral projects. Applications outside this frame will not be studied.
Financial contribution from another institution is mandatory. In all cases, funds allocated by IFAS-Research will be between EUR. 500-2000according to the project (maximum EUR. 1000 for individual fieldwork).
Applicants will receive replies by email during the first trimester of 2020.
All applications will be taken into consideration. However, priority will be given to applicants whose research is in line with the research programs of the Institute:
1. Archaeology and Prehistory
- Paleoanthropology, evolution of the hominids,
- Archaeology and multidisciplinary studies of Middleand Later Stone Age, historical archaeology,
- Rock art.
2. Medieval, Early Modern and Contemporary History of Southern African Societies
- Long distance connections, integration of Southern Africa in Atlantic and Indian Ocean circulations, material and cultural circulations since the first millennium CE,
- History, social and racial hierarchies, slavery,
- Heritage and current issues of memory in Southern Africa, construction of knowledge and categories.
3. Contemporary Dynamics: Urban Studies, Social, Political, Economic and Cultural Transformations
- Geography and urban studies, historical development of Southern African cities, governance, access to public services, security, spatial justice, access to the city, city memory
- Migration studies, borders, xenophobia,
- Political mutations in Southern Africa, electoral dynamics, citizenship and its transformation, identity policies, nation-building processes,
- Resources, economic policy, comparative development economics, labour,
- Education, youth, social movement,•Ecology and society.
A specific interest will be shown intransregional projects,inprojects that challenge disciplinary bordersand proposals dealing with Lusophone Africa. Nevertheless, scientific excellence will remain the main criteria of selection.
List of documents to enclose in the application
- A short introduction letter from the applicant;
- A detailed description of the research project not exceeding 5 pages and containing the scientific project, a research agenda, institutional partnerships, indications regarding the dissemination of results
- A provisional budget indicating the amount of total funding, other sources of funding applied for and/or obtained, funding required from IFAS-Research (nature of expenses);
- The applicant’s CV(2 pages maximum);
- A reference letter from the research supervisor (for students);
- The application form filled in electronically.
Selection process of applications
Please, send the application by email with a single .pdf document attached, containing all the enclosures (including the form and the reference letter) to Sophie Dulucq, IFAS-Research Director,at firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
Deadline for applications: 31 December 2019.