Institute of International Education’s Scholar Rescue Fund (IIE-SRF) Fellowship Program
IIE-SRF accepts applications from professors, researchers, and public intellectuals who face threats and cannot continue their work in their home countries. Scholars from any country and in any academic field or discipline may qualify. Applicants are assessed based on academic qualifications and experience, the quality and/or potential of their work, and the urgency of the threats that they face.
Preference is given to scholars who:
- hold a Ph.D. or highest degree in their field and have significant teaching and/or research experience at a university, college, or other institution of higher learning;
- have an established record of published research;
- demonstrate superior academic accomplishment or promise;
- are facing or have recently fled from immediate, targeted threats to their lives and/or careers in their home countries or countries of residence;
- will benefit their home and/or host academic communities.
We encourage applications from women and members of ethnic, racial, cultural, or religious minority groups, or those otherwise underrepresented in their fields.
Unfortunately, IIE-SRF typically cannot consider applications from individuals who:
- are seeking to continue their studies, including Ph.D. study, or to complete an academic training program;
- have been displaced or have resided outside their home countries for more than two years;
- hold citizenship or permanent residency in a safe second country;
- will have completed two years on a comparable fellowship or other program for threatened scholars.
Because of high demand for assistance, IIE-SRF is not able to grant fellowship support to all applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
The IIE-SRF Selection Committee meets to consider applications and award fellowships on a quarterly basis. Applications are accepted at any time throughout the year, though IIE-SRF will establish quarterly deadlines by which a scholar must apply to be considered for a specific selection meeting.
Application deadline for September 2021 selection meeting: July 12, 2021.
Please direct any inquiries regarding eligibility to email@example.com.
Learn more about the required application materials and instructions for submission here.