Japan Foundation Grant Program for Japanese Studies Projects
This program is designed to promote Japanese studies overseas by providing grants toward various Japanese studies projects implemented by overseas organizations.
Overseas non-profit organizations such as academic institutions from university level upwards or research institutions that are implementing Japanese studies activities.
Projects must fall into any of the following four categories:
- Research or conference on Japan; study or training in Japan; or publication that promotes and contributes to the development of Japanese studies;
- Inviting scholars or researchers from Japan or third countries to deliver lectures on Japan;
- Purchase of books and materials on Japanese studies;
- Other relevant projects which would further promote and expand the horizon of Japanese studies.
＊Projects in the field of natural sciences, commercial activities, arts and cultural activities, activities in support of specific doctrines or claims, and so forth are not eligible for this program. For details, please refer to the Application Instructions.
Projects must be implemented and completed between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Part of the following expenses:
- Travel expenses (international airfares and other transportation expenses, daily allowances and accommodation fees);
- Honoraria (for lecturers, collaborators, interpreters, etc.);
- Meeting expenses (for preparing materials, venues, equipment, public relations, etc.);
- Other expenses (for purchasing materials, etc.).
Number of Grants (Reference)
37 out of 53 applications for FY 2019.
- See p. 3 for the selection policy common to all programs.
- Applications will be selected by comprehensively assessing the projects, including its contents, viability, relevance, efficiency, etc. The Japan Foundation also takes into account the regional and national distribution of its funding, and appropriates the distribution if need be.
- Lower priority will be given to the projects based on existing partnerships, such as agreements between universities and sister institution relationships.
December 2, 2019 (U.S. applicants: November 1, 2019).
Notification of Results
For projects that are scheduled to start in April 2020, please note that notification of results may be sent after the project has already started.
For projects that are scheduled to start in April 2019, please note that notification of results may be sent after the project has already started.