Postdoctoral Fellowships at SCRIPTS
Fellowships: 4 postdoctoral fellowships within the Cluster’s International Research College (IRC)
Duration: 12 month fellowships starting October 2021
Deadline for Applications: 26 March 2021 (Successful candidates will be informed in May 2020)
The Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS) is offering up to four postdoctoral fellowships within its International Research College (IRC). The IRC is the Cluster’s hub for international visiting scholars as well as postdoctoral fellows and together with the Graduate School forms the Berlin International College of Research and Graduate Training (BIRT). Through this unique structure, postdoctoral fellows are embedded in an interdisciplinary, international and diverse environment and benefit from regular exchange with junior as well as senior scholars at the Cluster.
The Cluster studies contestations, their causes, and their consequences by putting together four Research Units (RU) focusing on specific issues each script has to address: Borders, Orders, (Re-) Allocation and Temporality. The four RUs investigate who is contesting what, which factors drive these contestations, and what the effects of the contestations are. Each RU consists of multidisciplinary research teams, systematically cutting across disciplinary and epistemic boundaries.
We encourage applications on projects focussing on contemporary controversies about the liberal order from a historical, global, and/or comparative perspective and we are especially interested in topics, which reflect the research agenda of the Cluster’s four Research Units:
- Contestations and transformations of “the liberal border script” and its principles and challenges to territoriality and citizenship through processes of globalization, regionalization, (de)imperialization, technological change, and other factors
- Contestations of the liberal order script including state structures, rights, and political rule and resistance to institutions of global governance
- Contestations of the liberal script through a combination of inequalities and other pressures such as climate change, demographic change, and (forced) migration with a focus on the global south, preferably Africa or South Asia
- Time-related and historical challenges to the liberal script, tensions between future-oriented values against present-oriented norms and divergent understandings of temporality and progress and their influence on how actors allocate time to market and non-market activities
Applications from our international partners, as well as countries of the global south are particularly welcome.
Successful candidates must have their PhD submitted by the fall of 2021 (September 30, 2021 at the latest). The duration of the fellowship is 12 months (October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022) with a stipend of €30.000 (including travel and relocation expenses), paid in monthly rates of €2.500.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- CV and list of publications;
- Proposal for a postdoctoral project (max. 5,000 words);
- Transcripts of degrees and other relevant material;
- Two letters of reference.
All applicants are required to apply online until March 31, 2021.
Please submit your application via the following online portal: https://www.drs.fu-berlin.de/user/register?field_i_want_to_apply_for=723