IN WBI Excellence Grant Programme┋Long-term scholarships
In a context of increased mobility and globalisation, this scholarship program was set up by Wallonia-Brussels International (WBI).
In support of the competitiveness clusters determined by the Marshall Plan 4.0 initiated by Wallonia, it allows the reception of researchers from foreign countries wishing to carry out a postdoctoral program within higher-education institutions that are organised or subsidised by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
IMPORTANT ELEMENTS TO CONSIDER CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING THE APPLICATION FILE
- Any beneficiary who has already obtained a scholarship including a possible renewal for a given subject cannot reintroduce a new application ;
- For long-term scholarships, a maximum of three applications will be allowed for each candidate;
- Files that are incomplete, submitted after the deadline or not meeting eligibility criteria will be considered inadmissible.
Researchers from any country with a degree of doctor by a given foreign university wishing to carry out a postdoctoral program in higher education institutions organised or subsidised by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.
It should be noted that you are allowed to submit a file even if you are in an active term and the doctorate certification is not yet in your possession. In this case, it will be necessary to send proof of achievement at the latest on :
- For long-term scholarships (stay between September and August): 1st of June ;
- For short-term scholarships :
- for stay between February and May : 1st of December ;
- for stay between June and September : 1st of April ;
- for stay between October and January : 1st of July.
In order to support the various competitiveness clusters of the Marshall Plan 4.0, the following are the focus areas :
- Transport and logistics ;
- Mechanical engineering ;
- Life sciences ;
- Agriculture-industry ;
- Aero-space ;
- Environmental technologies.
All other fields will be taken into account, whether in the human sciences, fundamental or applied.
What are the Walloon competitiveness clusters?
The Competitiveness Clusters, which bring together companies around a promising economic sector (see above), constitute a major economic asset for the development of Wallonia. This is made concrete by the creation of synergies around an innovative economic project stimulated by companies, training or research-innovation centres.
If the research theme is similar to one of the above, WBI will forward the file to the Clusters for their opinion.
We urge you to visit www.poles.be to find out about the activity of each cluster and to check if your research project could be in line with one of them.
Types of Programme
- Long-term scholarships (minimum 1 year, renewable once) at postdoctoral level ;
- Short-term scholarships (1 to 3 months, non-renewable) at postdoctoral level.
- For long-term scholarships : No later than the 1st of March (UTC/GMT +1) preceding the academic year during which the stay is requested (starting 1st of October at the latest).
- For short-term scholarships :
- for stay between February and May : no later than the preceding 1st of October (UTC/GMT +2);
- for stay between June and September : no later than the preceding 1st of February (UTC/GMT +1);
- for stay between October and January (starting 1st of November at the latest) : no later than the preceding 1st of May (UTC/GMT +2).
The form must be typed and sent by e-mail in one single PDF file (maximum 10 MB) to the Program manager.
WBI selects candidates in collaboration with all the scientific, academic and institutional partners involved in the program.
The jury is composed of members :
- from the National Fund for Scientific Research - FRS-FNRS ;
- from the Directorate-General for “Economic Affairs, Employment and Research” of the Walloon Public Service (DG06) ;
- from WBI.
These base their decision on, but are not limited to, the following criteria when making their selection :
- Area related to the Marshall Plan 4.0 competitiveness clusters ;
- Letters of recommendation attached to the form ;
- Academic references ;
- Interest in the field of research for our universities, research centres ;
- Scientific publications ;
- Professional career.
These criteria make it possible to set out classifications in three A-B-C categories. Only those applications which have been graded A by at least one of the members of the jury will be selectable.
It should be noted that sub-categories (A- and A+) are part of category A.
In principle, the decision will be taken at the latest :
For long-term scholarships : no later than the 15th of July.
For long-term scholarships :
- for stays starting between February and May : by the 1st of January ;
- for stays starting between June and September : by the 1st of May ;
- for stays starting between October and January : by the 1st of September.
- Monthly amount 2.120 euros covering living expenses, accommodation, educational materials and travel expenses within the country ;
- WBI will cover international travel costs (one round trip for the total duration of the program) ;
- WBI covers "healthcare" insurance for non-EU fellows ;
- WBI takes responsibility for “repatriation assistance” insurance (only for long-term scholarships).
Renewal procedure (applies only to long-term scholarships)
The maximum duration of WBI funding is 2 years for a post-doctorate including one renewal.
To the extent that nothing is automatically established, it will be the responsibility of the awarded fellow wishing to renew their funding to submit, every year by the 1st of May at the latest, an application for renewal (form to be requested from your manager) to be examined by the jury.
To be included in the file
The application form and its appendices must be duly completed and signed in the required places.
- Application form ;
- Appendix 1 : Declaration of additional funding (template on page 10) ;
- Appendix 2 : Minimum 2 letters of reference (template on page 11) prepared by the faculty of an academic institution able to judge the scientific quality of your work. These must be sent by e-mail directly to WBI and cannot be sent to you ;
- Appendix 3 : Letter of invitation or agreement from the host university or from the professor(s) supervising the research (no template). It should be noted that researching a host university is a process that is your responsibility and WBI does not intervene in this process ;
- Appendix 4 : Copy of diplomas (bachelor, 120 credits master and doctorate).