GATES International Excellence in the Humanities Programme┋Post-doctoral fellowships
The Maison de la Création et de l’Innovation (MaCI), UGA’s Center for the Humanities, is launching its annual Post-doctoral Fellowship Programme funded by the France 2030 ANR project GATES (Grenoble ATtractiveness and ExcellenceS).
The MaCI is an on-campus research center for the arts, humanities and social sciences. It stands out as a 5,000 square metre cutting-edge laboratory for experiential and experimental research with state of the art facilities for the arts, performance studies, architecture, urban studies, multimedia (sound, video), cinema, design thinking, health and medical humanities, environmental humanities, mountain studies, digital humanities and creative writing. The MaCI along with its other cultural partners can support a wide range of research practices.
The Excellence in the Humanities Fellowship Programme promotes academic diversity and interdisciplinarity and welcomes researchers with an international background to apply for postdoctoral fellowships at the MaCI.
This programme is built in association with the following international partners:
- University of Oxford
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of British Columbia (UBC)
- Stanford University
- Swansea University
We offer 3 two-year post-doctoral fellowships in the arts, humanities and social sciences. The postdoctoral felowships can start anytime between September 2023 and December 2023.
The Excellence in the Humanities Programme is part of UGA’s ambition to develop cutting-edge international research in the arts, the humanities and social sciences by funding innovative and original projects.
Post-doctoral candidates who, in their project, will make use of the MaCI’s facilities and interact with ongoing research programmes are particularly welcome.
Post-doctoral candidates from all disciplines in the arts, humanities and social sciences and from all countries can apply. They must:
- have successfully completed their doctorate (Ph.D., D.Phil, C.Sc. or equivalent)
- give proof of academic distinction by providing a list of peer-reviewed publications in internationally referenced journals and/or media
- have an international background or research experience
Completed applications in English will consist of the following documents:
- The application form (please download by clicking on this link)
- A CV (5 pages maximum)
- A list of publications, articles, awards and prizes
- A description of the candidate’s research project (5 pages maximum)
- A timeline of the planned research activities
- A letter of support from an UGA academic member
Evaluation and selection
Applications will be evaluated and preselected applicants interviewed by an international scientific committee composed of 12 members including the director of the MaCI, the president of the Academic Board, the vice-president of international relations, two members in charge of the programme’s international relations, both directors of research in the arts, humanities, and social sciences and five representatives of the programme’s international partners.
Each project will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Quality and impact of the project
- International dimension
The postdoctoral fellows will be hired on a fixed-term two-year contract. They will receive a gross salary of 2981 euros per month.
Please note that, if selected, the fellows are responsible for applying for the proper visa and will have to cover travel expenses to and from their country of residence.
The MaCI will support the fellows by providing :
- if required, the opportunity to apply for additional financial support for research activities or short trips (for an approximate amount of 2000 euros per fellow)
- full access to all of the MaCI’s facilities (workspaces, studios, labs, conference rooms, computer rooms, resources and archive centre, Live Arts Lab, UX Lab, SonImage, Domus, etc…) For more details see: https://maisondelacreation.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/en/about/facilities/
- an office space with a computer, internet access, printing facilities and access to all the university libraries
- assistance to establish contacts with UGA researchers before their arrival
- assistance to organize meetings, seminars, conferences and other research activities which will allow the fellows to fully participate in the life of the scientific community
- the necessary advice and guidelines to help the fellows and their family organize their stay in Grenoble (housing, transportation, cultural and sporting activities…)
- a programme of visits and events
Throughout the year, a variety of research activities will be organized by the MaCI. Post-doctoral fellows will be invited and strongly encouraged to participate.
Contact and submission details
The candidates should send their completed application in one single pdf file to the following email address: email@example.com
Submission deadline: 15 June 2023
For any inquiries or assistance regarding the application process, please contact us at this same email address.