IMÉRA Necessary Utopias Programme┋EHESS/IMéRA Chair
The EHESS (School of Advanced Studies in Social Sciences) is a prestigious French institution devoted to research and teaching in social sciences. The EHESS research and teaching activities also involve members of French and foreign partners. These activities are carried out at the Paris headquarters and at the regional centers of the institution (Lyon, Marseille and Toulouse) as well.
The EHESS-IMéRA chair in “Transregional Studies” aims at developing at the highest international level comparative research among any regions of the world. The research projects proposed should in particular take into account the involved scale effects and the related issues of exchange, circulation and connection in the reformulation of social orders. They should also build on innovative and clearly articulated interdisciplinary approaches. The EHESS-IMéRA chaire particularly welcomes research projects interested in the comparison between cultural areas.
The chaire holder has to carry out these research themes within a coherent frame allowing to foster cooperation between EHESS and IMéRA and to assure sufficient visibility for the chaire activities, mainly through public conferences.
- Deadline: 17 October 2022 at 13:00 pm (French time)
- Duration of residence: 10 months (preferably)
- Residence period: 4 Sept 2023 to 5 July 2024
The EHESS-IMéRA chair is open to experienced researchers from all social sciences. Applicants should submit an innovative project on trans-regional comparisons among any regions of the world. Special attention will be paid to those projects which analyse contemporary issues from a long-run historical perspective.
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Not to have lived in France more than 12 months during the three years preceding this call for applications;
- Hold a Doctorate or PhD;
- Have an employment contract (permanent or not) in a foreign university or research institution during the residency.
The holder of the Chair receives a monthly allowance of 3000 euros.
She/he will also benefit from paid travel expenses and free accommodation on IMéRA premises.
Application assessment criteria include, but are not limited to:
- The scientific excellence of the researcher according to the highest international standards in the field.
- The scientific excellence of the project including its interdisciplinary dimension, which is crucial for the insertion of the researcher in the dynamics of collective creation at IMéRA.
- The capacity to carry the scientific collaboration between EHESS and IMéRA.
- Scientific excellence and originality of the proposed series of public conferences (a key selection criterion).
Online applications must include the following supporting documents:
- A duly completed application form (mandatory fields);
- All the following files (to download):
- A curriculum vitae including a list of publications
- A presentation of the project (maximum 5 pages) followed by a selective bibliography (compulsory for researchers)
- A letter of support from an Aix-Marseille University researcher or associate/assistant professor OR a letter of motivation clearly explaining the interest for the candidate to interact with Aix-Marseille University’s laboratories and to lead a project from Aix-Marseille.