Latvian Scholarships and Fellowships
I. Application conditions
Citizens from countries which have concluded an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens and academic staff can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. To see countries, citizens of which are eligible to apply for the scholarships, look at the section ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS.
Only academic and scientific staff of foreign higher education and research institutions are eligible candidates for the Latvian state fellowship for research.
The fellowship is granted for a time period of up to 5 months.
In general, the academic year in Latvia lasts from 1st September to 30th June.
II. Application procedure (open call 1st February 2021, deadline 1st April 2021)
III. Financial provisions
- Upon request, the host higher education institution provides the fellowship holder with a place in a dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation in the international student dormitories must be submitted one month before arrival to the respective higher education or a scientific institution. Alternatively, foreign researchers may consider renting an apartment in the city.
- The Latvian fellowship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses from a home country to Latvia and back are not covered by the Latvian research fellowship.
- Fellowship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
IV. Evaluation of applications and information on results
All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the evaluation committee of VIAA in accordance with the following evaluation criteria:
- Plan for the research work;
- The motivation for the research work in Latvia.
Foreigners who apply for research work in the field of Latvian language, literature or culture, are awarded five additional points.
All candidates will receive an official decision sent by e-mail in June 2021 and will be available on the profile of the candidate on the on- line application system.
Additional information on the scholarships granted by VIAA can be obtained in the International Cooperation Programme Unit, Management and External Cooperation Department, VIAA. Please visit the website of the VIAA for useful links to information sources for foreign students and academic staff in the Republic of Latvia.
International Cooperation Programme Unit
Phone: + 371 67814331, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra (VIAA, State Education Development Agency)
Vaļņu iela 1, Rīga LV-1050