Pernod Ricard Fellowship
Pernod Ricard and Villa Vassilieff are delighted to announce the continuation of the Pernod Ricard Fellowship for the fifth consecutive year.
The Pernod Ricard Fellowship is conceived as a research and artistic platform, experimenting with non-linear models of generating and distributing knowledge to encourage different possible connections between researchers, contemporary artists, cultural institutions, non-profit organizations and the general public. Inheriting the cosmopolitan and convivial spirit of the historical studio, art academy and artists’ cantina founded and run by Marie Vassilieff in the heart of Montparnasse, the Fellows enjoy a tailor-made support, special meetings with local or international researchers and art professionals relevant to their needs, and access to a rich network of institutions in France and abroad such as Centre Pompidou (a long-term, privileged partner of Pernod Ricard and Bétonsalon – Center for Art and Research).
Fellows benefit from the research programs developed by Villa Vassilieff in collaboration with museums, private and public archives, universities and art schools, with a focus on rarely explored resources. The Pernod Ricard Fellowship ambitions to offer a sustainable support for artists, by involving local and international partners.
The Fellowship aims at questioning our relationship to history and heritage in contact with current cultural and social issues, offering various pathways for conducting new investigations and collecting multiple stories of our globalized world. The Villa Vassilieff’s ongoing program of multiple events and encounters will facilitate the imagination of new modalities for dialogue, exchange, work and production.
- A 3-month residency in a private studio at Villa Vassilieff
- A 6000 euro grant to cover living expenses in Paris
- A 5000 euro production & research grant
- 1 or 2 round-trips to Paris
- A tailor-made program of meetings and visits
The opportunity to benefit from the expertise of the team at the Villa as well as its research & event programs, in connection with French institutions such as Centre Pompidou, MNAM-CCI; Musée Picasso; Cité Internationale des Arts / Ville de Paris; Fondation Nationale des Arts Graphiques et Plastiques...), as well as international institutions.
Every year, 4 international Fellows (artists, curators and researchers) are invited by an Artistic Committee for a 3-month residency on the basis of a research proposal. This year, the Pernod Ricard Fellowship focuses on four geographical zones: Southern Europe; Asia; Central & South America; Africa.
Members of the artistic committee
- Manuel Borja-Villel, Director, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Spain
- Patrick D. Flores, Professor, University of the Philippines Department of Art Studies and Curator, Vargas Museum, Quezon City, Philippines
- Bill Kouélany, Artist & Artistic Director, Les Ateliers Sahm, Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
- Jochen Volz, Director, Pinacoteca de São Paulo, Brazil
- Colette Barbier, Director, Fondation d’Entreprise Ricard, Paris, France
- Bernard Blistène, Director, MNAM CCI – Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- Mélanie Bouteloup, Director, Bétonsalon – Center for Art and Research & Villa Vassilieff, Paris, France
How to apply
Please send a proposal including:
- A short outline for a research project to be developed in Paris.
- Please provide a short artistic statement to introduce your practice (300 words max.)
- Describe a proposal for a research program to be developed at Villa Vassilieff (500 word max.)
- Please outline some of the resources and contacts that you would like to activate during your research (500 words max.)
- Please include all these answers in a single PDF document.
- Documentation of previous works (portfolio, PDF format max. 50 MB)
- Bio (300 words max.) + CV
Your availabilities in 2020 to be in Paris for the residency. You should be at least free 3 months during the year to be selected for the residency program.
The application must be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Pernod Ricard Fellowship Application
Deadline for applications: April 30, 2019
Selection of the four fellows by the Artistic committee: June, 2019