Lewis Center for the Arts
“The arts are an essential facet of the world-class education we seek to provide all Princeton students. Those who engage deeply with the arts broaden their perspectives, enhance their creativity, and enrich their lives.” — President Christopher L. Eisgruber, ‘83
Princeton University’s programs in Creative Writing, Dance, Music Theater, Theater, Visual Arts and the interdisciplinary Atelier form the Lewis Center for the Arts. Envisioned by former President Shirley Tilghman as an initiative to elevate the quality and expand the breadth of creative opportunities on campus, the Lewis Center exists thanks to a community of partners across campus and the generosity of its extraordinary supporters.
The Center serves the campus and the wider Princeton regional community through the presentation of over 100 public performances, exhibitions, readings, film screenings and lectures each year, most of them free.
The Lewis Center is named in honor of the late Peter B. Lewis (1933 – 2013). A member of Princeton’s Class of 1955 and a former Charter Trustee of the University, Mr. Lewis ushered in a new era for the arts at Princeton with an unprecedented $101 million gift to the University in 2006.