Junior and Senior Fellowships at M.S. Merian – R. Tagore International Centre for Advanced Studies “Metamorphoses of the Political: Comparative Perspectives on the Long Twentieth Century”
The M.S. Merian – R. Tagore International Centre of Advanced Studies “Metamorphoses of the Political: Comparative Perspectives on the Long Twentieth Century” (ICAS:MP), a project under the aegis of the Max Weber Stiftung India Branch Office, advertises multiple fellowships for the academic year July 2020-June 2021.
ICAS:MP is funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and has its main location in New Delhi, India. It offers an extensive fellowship programme for senior and postdoctoral scholars, whose research focuses on one of the following themes (TM=Thematic Modules):
- TM1: History as a Political Category
- TM2: Labour as a Political Category
- TM3: Critiques and Renewals of Democracy
- TM4: Normative Conflicts and Transformations
- TM5: The Challenge of Gender
- TM6: Political Economy of Growth and Distribution
Fellowship Terms & Conditions
- Senior Fellowships are for up to 6 months. ICAS:MP will either pay a stipend or reimburse a teaching substitute in the home institution of the successful candidates. Fellows also receive airfare costs and allowances for housing and other costs in Delhi.
- Junior Fellowships can be awarded for up to 7 months. ICAS:MP will pay a stipend plus an allowance for housing, visa and travel costs. Fellowship recipients will also be reimbursed for their round-trip airfare to New Delhi.
Interested applicants from related social sciences and humanities disciplines working on thematic fields relevant to ICAS:MP are invited to apply. Senior Fellows should have a well-established research and publications profile, and a record of substantial (institutional or independent) academic work following the Ph.D. Postdoctoral Fellows must have successfully defended their doctoral dissertation at the time of commencing the fellowship.
Applicants are expected to possess adequate language skills (English, and if required by the applicant´s research project, the respective Indian or other languages).
Please submit applications (single PDF comprising CV, list of publications, project description of 3000 words, and a research schedule for the fellowship period) along with a cover letter of one page that briefly outlines your experience and qualifications by email to Laila Abu-Er-Rub (firstname.lastname@example.org). The cover letter should specify the type and duration of fellowship that is being applied for (e.g. Senior Fellowship, October 2019 – March 2020).
The research project should be related to a thematic module. For detailed module descriptions please consult the website of ICAS:MP.
Additional notes: In TM 2, the Postdoctoral fellows are expected to closely cooperate with TM2’s core project of digital “Extended Archives of Indian Labour”. Of particular interest here are projects examining conflictual processes of formalisation and informalisation in the world of labour from an Indian or comparative perspective. In TM 5, fellows who conduct comparative research on the politics of gender and ways in which power and powerlessness are constructed in economic, social and cultural fields will be preferred, particularly researchers working on “Gender, Religion and Performance”, “Gender and Reproduction”, “Gender and Violence” or “Gender, Politics and International Relations. In TM 6, fellows may apply with research proposals on any one of the four research themes mentioned on the website, though preference will be given to proposals on the research theme “Political Economy of Economic Transformation”.
- TM 1: Prof. Shail Mayaram, CSDS Delhi (email@example.com); Dr. Indra Sengupta, GHI London (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TM 2: Prof. Rana Behal (email@example.com); Prof. Ravi Ahuja, CeMIS Göttingen (Ravi.Ahuja@phil.uni-goettingen.de)
- TM 3: Prof. Rupa Viswanath, CeMIS Göttingen (firstname.lastname@example.org); Prof. Amita Basviskar, IEG Delhi (email@example.com); Prof. Srirupa Roy, CeMIS Göttingen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TM 4: Prof. Rajeev Bhargava, CSDS Delhi (email@example.com); Prof. Martin Fuchs, MWK Erfurt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TM 5: Prof. Elisabeth Schömbucher-Kusterer, Würzburg (email@example.com), Prof. Samita Sen (firstname.lastname@example.org); Prof. Jörg Gengnagel, Würzburg (email@example.com)
- TM 6: Prof. Sabyasachi Kar, IEG Delhi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For all general enquiries, e.g. terms of conditions of the fellowship and financial compensation, please contact the Head of Administration Laila Abu-Er-Rub, ICAS:MP New Delhi (abu-er-rub@mwsIndia.org).