RIJS Japan Digital Fellowship/Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Edwin O. Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies (RIJS) at Harvard University invites applications for a Digital Fellow/Postdoctoral Fellow position in Japanese Studies during the 2019-20 academic year. The position is for 12 months, commencing August 1, 2019, with the possibility of renewal for an additional year.
- RIJS Japan Digital Fellow (without Ph.D.): stipend of $55,000 with health insurance coverage for the grantee, and up to $5,000 in research funds.
- RIJS Japan Digital Postdoctoral Fellow (with Ph.D.): stipend of $72,000 with health insurance coverage for the grantee, and up to $5,000 in research funds.
The Digital Fellow/Postdoctoral Fellow will also be provided office space, as well as access to the libraries and resources of Harvard University.
Responsibilities of Digital fellow/Postdoctoral fellow
- Pursuing independent research project that engages both Japan and digital scholarship in the humanities or social sciences
- Assisting in development of ongoing digital initiatives, including the Constitutional Revision Project and Japan Digital Disaster Archive
- Sharing skills and research through dissemination-type activities including workshops, class presentations, and lectures
- Participating in the intellectual life of the Reischauer Institute and Harvard communities through engagement with faculty, students, scholars, librarians, and digital technologists.
The Digital Fellow/Postdoctoral Fellow is expected to reside in the Cambridge area during the fellowship appointment term.
The Digital Fellow/Postdoctoral Fellow position is intended for individuals working in the field of Japanese studies with an interest and commitment to the promotion of digital methods of inquiry, research, publication, and preservation, particularly within the humanities and social sciences. A strong working knowledge of both Japanese and English languages is required. A Ph.D. is not required for this position, but applicants who wish to be considered as a Digital Postdoctoral Fellow must have received their Ph.D. in 2014 or later. RIJS especially encourages applications from those who have not previously held postdoctoral appointments at Harvard. Those who are selected to receive a fellowship must have a Registrar-certified Ph.D. degree by June 30, 2019.
Complete application form, supplementary materials, AND two (or three) letters of recommendation must be received by: January 4, 2019 (Friday), 5 pm EST.