FMSH Associate Directors of Studies Programme (DEA)
Created in 1975 through the initiative of Fernand Braudel, Directorate of Higher Education and Research, the Associate Directors of Studies (DEA) program is the oldest international mobility program of the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l'Homme.
Starting in 2024 it will be organized in partnership with the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS) and will make it possible to invite foreign scientists from all continents for a period of four to six weeks in order to support their work in the field of social sciences and humanities in France, as well as the creation of international research networks and contacts with local researchers.
Mobilities to all research centers in France are eligible.
This programme supports up to 60 projects per year; its selection rate is approximately 30%. The selection committee is especially attentive to applications from countries where funding for SHS is reduced and to researchers for whom a stay in France represents an important opportunity to establish scientific collaborations.
A monthly allowance of €3 400 is awarded for transport and living expenses. In addition, FMSH provides support for visa applications and logistics (accommodation and access to libraries).
- The program is intended exclusively for holders of university professorships or equivalent positions in higher education and research institutions.
- Candidates must be under 65 years of age at the time of their stay.
- Priority is given to projects requiring fieldwork (surveys, work in libraries or archives, etc.) in France.
- Any application for the exclusive purpose of writing an article or a book will not be considered.
Evaluation process and criteria
The projects will be evaluated with regard to the following elements:
- The scientific quality of the project and the method developed
- The need to come to France to work on the planned project
- The feasibility of the project during the 4/6 weeks stay in France
Once evaluated, the applications will be selected by a commission composed of members of the Executive Board and scientific directors of the FMSH and specialists from outside the foundation.
The results will be communicated to applicants no later than mid of July 2024.
Contents of the application and Calendar
- A curriculum vitae of 4 pages maximum (including date of birth)
- A list of scientific publications
- A 4-5 pages research project with proposed dates of stay in France and a bibliography
- A detailed work plan including the contacts to be made in France, archives and libraries to be consulted, stages of the survey to be undertaken, etc.
- A letter of support from a research laboratory in France confirming the appplicant has been offered a place during his/her stay.
- Provide a single pdf file, with documents in the following order:
- curriculum vitae
- list of scientific publications ;
- research project and bibliography
- work plan ;
- letter of support.
Applications not submitted, incomplete applications or applications that do not match the above description will not be considered.
Applicants are invited to submit their application online no later than March 29th 2024, 5:00pm (Paris time), written in French or English.
Applications must be submitted on the platform: http://programmes.msh-paris.fr.
On the platform, in your online application for the DEA program, please indicate the year of the call: "2024" then session of the call: "janv-mars 2024".