Internationalisation in the Humanities Grant for Collaboration between Dutch and Foreign Humanities Research Groups
The NWO budget for this instrument has been transferred to the NWO Open Competition – SSH
The Internationalisation in the Humanities grant is intended to facilitate collaboration between Dutch and foreign humanities research groups. Furthermore, NWO wants to foster the formation of international networks in the humanities and encourage funding proposals from the humanities to international agencies.
The grant encourages international collaboration between Humanities research groups, research schools, research institutes and/or departments. The collaboration must be related to a single coherent research project. The research activities have to fit within a programme for structural collaboration with two or more foreign institutions or research groups. The maximum duration of a project is three years.
Please note that this call for proposals is aimed at supporting solely research networks in the humanities research field.
Who can apply
Senior researchers with an appointment at a Dutch university or a research institute recognised by NWO can apply. The main applicant must hold a PhD or equivalent qualification, and must have a tenured or a temporary position during the assessment of the application and for the duration of the project.
Researchers not employed by a research institute recognised by NWO can be part of the network but cannot act as main or co-applicant.
A researcher can only submit one application as main applicant. As a co-applicant, a researcher can be involved in maximum one different application.
What to apply for
Activities eligible for funding are e.g. the initiation of an international research network, the organisation of scientific meetings and/or the exchange of researchers. Applicants should describe how the different activities for which they have requested funding contribute to a structured and coherent international collaborative research project in the humanities research field. Costs for personnel or educational activities are not eligible for funding.
The total project budget is at least 25,000 euros and at most 75,000 euros. NWO will fund no more than 75% of this, with a maximum of 50,000 euros. The other part of the budget (at least 25%) must be contributed by at least two international humanities partners.
When can be applied
The deadline for submitting proposals is March 1st 2018, 14.00 CEST
Applications are assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- importance, added value and urgency of the proposed research networking activities for the Humanities and for the involved humanities research groups;
- scholarly quality and relevance/appropriateness of the people involved;
- technical aspects:
- management and coordination of the project,
- output, dissemination and impact,
- feasibility of the planned activities.
Within the grant the following results can be aimed for:
- A fully elaborated international research proposal. This should concern concrete plans in which it is clearly indicated where and when this international research proposal will be submitted within the duration of the project. The main applicant should preferably be the main applicant of the international funding proposal.
- A structurally embedded international research network. The network should have a permanent nature.
- Research infrastructure. Possible examples are the joint development and maintenance of databases, metadata standards and virtual locations for collaboration.
- One or more forms of other joint output, such as scientific publications. The intended output should be a direct outcome of the collaboration intended in the proposal.
In the event that a further ranking is necessary then during the assessment most weight will be given to point 1: ‘a fully elaborated international research proposal’.
After the administrative eligibility applications follow the application procedure, in accordance with the guidelines in the call for proposals. As these are short projects with relatively small budgets no external referees will be used for this funding instrument.