Caius Research Fellowships
Gonville & Caius College invites applications for stipendiary Research Fellowships in both Arts and Sciences. The Fellowships will be tenable for four years, normally from 1 October 2019.
Applications as well as the referees' references, including all written work submitted in support of the application, must be received by 5.00pm on Friday 28th September 2018. Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. Please make sure that your application and your references reach us before the closing date.
To apply, you are required to register. This enables you to save your application and revisit/edit it before submitting, or to check its status. It is recommended that you register as soon as possible.
To register, please go to the Application Registration page.
- Application for a Research Fellowship is open to men and women in any academic discipline in Arts and Sciences.
- To be eligible for a Research Fellowship you must pass the following eligibility requirements:
Either you are a graduate student, probably in the latter stages of your research leading to a PhD Degree
You are a research student or post-doctoral researcher who has recently submitted your PhD thesis; this should be no earlier than 30 September 2017 for Arts candidates and no earlier than 30 September 2016 for Science candidates. Note: this is the date of your first submission, not the date of examination, award of the degree, or the submission of a revised version of the thesis.
- The College would like to make it clear that it welcomes applications from eligible candidates who are applying for or have already been appointed to a salaried post-doctoral position in a laboratory or department in Cambridge. Such persons appointed to Research Fellowships would be entitled to all the benefits of a Research Fellow apart from the stipend.
- Please view the Eligibility Requirements for further details.
- Statements of research are required and should be not more than 2,000 words, outlining their current and proposed future research. Please note that the statement will be read by people outside as well as inside the candidate's own discipline and should therefore be intelligible to scholars in other subjects.
- The application as well as two referees' references must be submitted online by 5.00pm on Friday 28th September 2018.
- Full submission of written work in support of the application is required at the time of application.
- Submitted work should be written in English apart from quotations, or the necessary part of text editions.
- At a latter stage short-listed science candidates may be asked to provide a statement from their proposed Head of Department confirming that adequate finance and facilities are available. In cases where short-listed candidates are not already in contact with the Department, the College will provide assistance in contacting the Head of Department.
- The current stipend of a Research Fellow who has no other emoluments except College teaching is £20,628 p.a., rising by three annual increments to £23,142 p.a. Assistance with housing is given to non-resident Research Fellows. Reimbursement of certain research expenses totalling up to £1,000 p.a. will also be available.
- The stipend of Research Fellows who are in receipt of financial support from other sources will be by arrangement according to individual circumstances. Research Fellows may join the University's Superannuation Scheme.
- A Research Fellow will receive the normal privileges of a Fellow, including the provision of rooms and some meals.
- The application process begins on Saturday 1st September 2018.
- The application and two references must be submitted through the web site, and received by the College by 5.00pm on Friday 28th September 2018. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Interviews for short listed candidates will be held in the College on 11 January 2019.
- Fellowships will be tenable for four years from 1 October 2019.