Newnham College Cambridge Research Fellowships for Female Researchers
Newnham College is proud to offer a number of Research Fellowships for outstanding female researchers early in their careers.
Our Fellowships offer an opportunity to carry out independent research in a stimulating and supportive academic community, to meet established researchers across a range of disciplines, and to take part in the life of Newnham College.
The Sciences Research Fellowship and the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Research Fellowship are both tenable for three years, and may be held on either a stipendiary or non-stipendiary basis. An award of £10,000 will be made available to each Research Fellow during the tenure of her Fellowship to host an approved “event” or series of “events” (e.g. conference, seminar) to promote her research.
Stipends, for those without financial support from other sources, are:
i) For post-PhD Research Fellows: Point 41 on the University Scale, (currently £32,816 for 2019-20)
ii) For pre-PhD Research Fellows: Point 37 of the University Scale, (currently £29,176 for 2019-20)
The stipends are on a three point scale and rise each year to the next point on that scale.
Note that applicants who have taken time out of research for professional or family reasons will not be at a disadvantage.
- Our Research Fellowships are intended for outstanding female researchers early in their careers. The Fellowships offer an opportunity to carry out independent research in a stimulating and supportive academic environment.
- Applications will be accepted from any female graduate of a university within or outside the United Kingdom. All candidates should note that these Research Fellowships are extremely competitive.
- Successful candidates are expected to be either graduate students, probably in the latter stages of their research leading to a PhD Degree, or post-doctoral researchers who have recently completed their PhD.
- Both selection panels use the concept of “research age” in judging how long a candidate has been active in research, so that time out of research for professional or family reasons will not be at a disadvantage.
- Newnham College is an equal opportunities employer.
- Fellowships at Newnham College are restricted to women. These appointments comply with legislation on sex discrimination, relying on the Equality Act 2010, Schedule 22, and Article 3 of the College Charter
The Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Research Fellowship subjects are offered on a three-year rotation, with the subjects as listed below. Newnham research students in the whole field of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences may apply in any year, regardless of the rotational listing: