Post-doctoral Research Associate in Palestine and Palestinian Studies
Middle East Studies at Brown University invites applications for a one-year post-doctoral research associate in Palestine and Palestinian Studies with a possibility of renewal for a second year. The position is part of the ongoing initiative, New Directions in Palestinian Studies, which seeks to critically explore and facilitate innovative lines of academic inquiry in this field. We especially welcome candidates who thrive in an interdisciplinary environment and whose work is informed by comparative and global perspectives.
The position is open to all the humanities and social science disciplines. Scholars who received PhDs within five years of the application deadline are eligible to apply. Residence in the Providence area is required for most of the one-year appointment, unless approval for research-related travel is obtained in advance. Associates will teach one class a year, take a leadership role in organizing the annual New Directions in Palestinian Studies Symposium, advise students, and participate in research-related programming on campus. The annual salary is $57,000 plus benefits. Additional funding for conference-related travel and other research expenses is available.
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2018. The following materials should be submitted prior to that date:
- A brief cover letter stating the applicant's academic field, area of specialization, and a short summary of the proposed work during the appointment period.
- A Curriculum vitae.
- A Research statement: Summary of the research questions, goals, and methodological approaches of current and future projects. The statement should not exceed 2,000 words, including all bibliographic references and supplementary material.
- Teaching statement: experience in and approaches to undergraduate teaching.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Writing sample
- A proposed class syllabus suitable for a Middle East Studies course.
- An official copy of each graduate transcript
We will conduct interviews with short-listed candidates at MESA 2018 in San Antonio, Texas, or by Skype in late November. Awards will be announced thereafter.