IMÉRA NECESSARY UTOPIAS PROGRAMME┋IRD/IMéRA Chair
The IRD (French National Institute of Research for Developpement) is a multidisciplinary research institute dedicated to working closely with partner countries on global development issues. It uses an original approach on development research and pluridisciplinary expertise throughout its international network. Its aims at using its research and tools for the benefit of countries that make science and innovation the prime levers for development and at positioning research for development as a major tool for the new international development agenda.
The IRD/IMéRA Chair in Sustainable Development is aimed to develop interdisciplinary research programs at the highest international quality standards on all the topics related to sustainable development, consistently with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The chair holder is intended to carry out these goals within a coherent frame allowing to foster cooperation between IRD and IMéRA and to assure sufficient visibility for the chair activities, mainly through public conferences.
- Deadline: 17 octobre 2022 at 13:00 pm (French time)
- Duration of residency: 10 months (preferably)
- Residency period: 4 September 2023 to 5 July 2024 (Full year)
The IRD/IMéRA Chair is open to experienced researchers from all disciplines, working on themes relevant to the science of sustainability and development and focusing on understanding the links, synergies and trade-offs between SDOs (the nexus approach). The Chair is intended for candidates who wish to use their research to simultaneously understand phenomena at different scales and help solve complex real-world problems that existing disciplines have not addressed. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to): climate change, land use change, conservation of continental and marine biodiversity, cities and urbanization, agriculture/fisheries and food security, pollution, health and environment, mobility, all in relation to sustainable development.
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Not to have lived in France more than 12 months during the three years preceding this call for applications.
- Hold a Doctorate or PhD.
- Have an employment contract (permanent or not) in a foreign university or research institution during the residency.
- Have proven scientific excellence in one of the research areas related to sustainable development.
Remuneration and accommodation
The holder of the Chair receives a monthly allowance of 3000 euros.
She/he will also benefit from paid travel expenses and free accommodation on IMéRA premises.
Application assessment criteria include, but are not limited to:
- The scientific excellence of the researcher according to the highest international standards in the field.
- The scientific excellence of the project including its interdisciplinary dimension, which is crucial for the insertion of the researcher in the dynamics of collective creation at IMéRA.
- The capacity to carry the scientific collaboration between IRD and IMéRA as part of the Chair in Sustainable Development activities.
- Scientific excellence and originality of the proposed series of public conferences.
Online applications must include the following supporting documents:
- A duly completed application form (mandatory fields);
- All the following files (to download):
- A curriculum vitae including a list of publications
- A presentation of the project (maximum 5 pages) followed by a selective bibliography (compulsory for researchers)
- A letter of support from an Aix-Marseille University researcher or associate/assistant professor OR a letter of motivation clearly explaining the interest for the candidate to interact with Aix-Marseille University’s laboratories and to lead a project from Aix-Marseille.