COFUND Fellowship Programme of Max Weber Center for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies at the University of Erfurt
The Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies (Max-Weber-Kolleg) at the University of Erfurt is a highly ranked international research centre. It is unique in its organizational structure by combining the functions of an institute for advanced study and a graduate school. Its ‘Weberian’ research programme combines historical, comparative and interdisciplinary perspectives with an interest in normative issues in the social sciences. It has a focus on contemporary social challenges, especially those arising in connection with (religious) plurality, cultural diversity and social processes of acceleration and growth. The core disciplines at the Max-Weber-Kolleg are sociology, economics, religious studies, law, philosophy, history and theology. Within its fellowship programme “MWK-FELLOWS" the Max-Weber-Kolleg offers (up to) 10 Fellowships for Experienced Researchers.
The fellowships will be awarded to experienced researchers who are conducting advanced interdisciplinary research in cultural and social studies. The current call invites applications for fellowships for the academic year 2019/20. The fellowships will be awarded for 12 months (01 September 2019 – 31 August 2020). In exceptional cases an extension for another year is possible. All experienced researchers regardless of seniority are invited to apply. This call is also open for researchers who are currently working outside academia but are interested in re-entering an academic environment of work.
Successful applicants are expected to work during their stay on their own research project to be accomplished within one year. In addition to being involved in an intellectually vibrant community of interdisciplinary researchers by participating in the advanced study programme of colloquia, guest lectures etc. Fellows will be supported by targeted personal training, and, where appropriate, research stays at cooperating academic institutions or secondments to partner institutions from the non-academic sector.
Research Experience: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or at least an equivalent of four years of full-time research experience at the application deadline. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in Germany, irrespective of whether a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
Mobility Rule: Applicants can be of any nationality, but at the time of application they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies etc.) in Germany for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the application deadline. Compulsory national service and short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Support: Applicants must propose a research project that can be particularly well supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must explain in detail in their motivation letter which research group at the Max-Weber-Kolleg can reference number 62/2018 provide this support.
Furthermore they must identify in their motivation letter at least one relevant researcher from a research group at the Max-Weber-Kolleg who has specific expertise in the field of the applicant’s proposed project and with whom the applicant would like to work during the fellowship.
Ethical Issues: The research project must propose research that is not excluded from EU funding due to ethical issues.
The University of Erfurt is an equal opportunity employer in compliance with the Thuringian Equal Opportunities Act (Thüringer Gleichstellungsgesetz). Handicapped applicants are given preference in cases of equal qualification.
The University of Erfurt does not refund any costs incurred in the application process.
Information on Data Protection
With the submission of your application you agree to the processing of your personal data in the context of and for the execution of the application process. The consent may be revoked in writing or electronically at any time without stating any reasons to the person(s)/unit(s) indicated in the respective job advertisement or to the controller responsible for the processing. Please note that any revocation of the consent will result in the fact that your application may no longer be taken into consideration in the current application process (if applicable).
For further information on data protection in particular in accordance with Article 13 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), please refer to the Information sheet ("Data protection information for applicants") on our website.
Application / Deadline
Applicants are strictly required to submit all necessary documents in German or English only via the online application portal (applications via email will not be accepted):
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications (please make sure that for all periods in which you were employed, received a stipend, fellowship or grant, or stayed abroad you mention the exact dates, on which the period started and ended in the following format: DD/MM/YYYY)
- Copy of the degree certificate and transcript of the most recently completed university degree (degree certificates which are not originally issued in German or English have to be translated; the translation has to be officially certified; you must submit both the scan of the original degree certificate and the scan of the officially certified translation)
- Electronic copies of either three reviewed journal publications or one individually authored book, or a copy of the doctoral thesis
- Motivation letter which explains the reasons for the application for the programme, particularly why the proposed research project can be excellently supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg
- Names and contact details of three proposed independent external referees
- Research proposal (3000 to a maximum of 5000 words, excluding bibliography). The proposals must include a brief summary of 10 lines before the main text and must have the following structure: state of the art, main questions, methodology, a detailed work schedule
- Completed and signed Ethical Issue Form
- Proof of research experience: in case applicants do not hold a PhD-degree, a minimum of 4 years full-time equivalent research experience at the call deadline has to be documented
Deadline for applications: 1 October 2018
The online application portal opens on 1 September 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For detailed information on the required documents, the selection process and the online application portal go to our website.
MWK-FELLOWS will be appointed on the basis of a regular employment contract with the University of Erfurt according to the German Civil Service Collective Agreement (TV-L, pay grade E 13). Alternatively, fellows have the opportunity to stay in a current employment contract with their home universities under the precondition of an accepted leave of absence. The University of Erfurt will compensate the home universities for their costs of replacement as well as the fellows for their additional costs up to a defined sum.
MWK-FELLOWS will receive an individual research and a training budget. They will be provided with a fully equipped workplace and have full access to the academic infrastructure (e. g. library loan, web space).