State University of New Jersey
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, stands among America’s highest-ranked, most diverse public research universities. The oldest, largest, and top-ranked public university in the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area, you’ll find us at our main locations in three New Jersey cities, and our footprint can be seen around the region. We’re an academic, health, and research powerhouse and a university of opportunity.
As one of the leading comprehensive public research universities in the nation, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, has the threefold mission of
- providing for the instructional needs of New Jersey’s residents through its undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs;
- conducting the innovative research that contributes to the medical, environmental, social, and cultural well-being of the state, as well as aiding the economy and the state’s businesses and industries; and
- performing public service in support of the needs of the residents of the state and its local, county, and state governments.
Each component of the university’s mission reinforces and supports the other two.
Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence, to conducting research that breaks new ground, and to providing services, solutions, and clinical care that help individuals and the local, national, and global communities where they live.
A Public Powerhouse
- Discover Your Path
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick
- Rutgers University–Newark
- Rutgers University–Camden
- Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
Rutgers has locations in New Brunswick, Newark, and Camden and has a major academic and clinical health sciences presence that spans across the state. They’re all different but they’re also all Rutgers—respected, forward-looking, and packed with options.
So Many Options...
With hundreds of degree programs, locations across New Jersey, and 67,600-plus students, Rutgers delivers something for everyone. And because our campuses come in all sizes—small, medium, and large—you can choose the one that fits you best.
See more Rutgers facts and figures
Our Mission: Teaching, Research, and Service
As The State University of New Jersey, a leading national public research university and New Jersey’s top academic health care provider, Rutgers fulfills its mission to provide learning, discovery, innovation, service, and health care at the highest levels.
Yesterday and Today
Sol Iustitiae et Occidentem Illustra: The university’s motto, “Sun of righteousness, shine upon the West also,” is today interpreted as a request for the enlightenment of learning to shine equally upon the New World. Learn more about the university's dynamic evolution and visionary leadership.